The quiet hamlet of Les Routières is a short walk of the centre of
Origny-en-Thiérache (still provided with a few small shops)
and witch was once the pole of the “vannerie fine” or « fine basket weaving ».
Are witnesses, the majestic Town Hall and the remains of some basketry warehouses,
with the villas of directors, sometimes in a state… more or less faded...
Origny is located on the Touristic Route of the Valley of the Ton.
The most famous of the inhabitants of Origny-en-Thiérache is without doubt monseigneur
Pigneau de Behaine, born here in 1741, and appointed missionary at Cochin-China,
in the south of the current Vietnam, to teach future priests.
He was appointed archbishop of Adran in 1770.
In the wars of clans, Pigneau de Behaine becomes advisor of Nguyen,
head of the Nguyen clan, whose son Nguyen Anh (Gia Long) is named emperor of Vietnam in 1802, by French intervention.
Pigneau died in 1799 and was worshiped in Vietnam. Through recognition, the emperor of Vietnam built a tomb for Pigneau, now gone.
After the First World War Saïgon became « godmother of war » of Origny and payed the reconstruction of the village, as well as the church, shown by its oriental touch.
The church is dedicated to Saint-Cyr and Sainte-Julitte, and has been several times attacked and fortified in the 16th century, see its two circular towers and its loopholes.
On the back of the church you will find the house of Pigneau de Behaine, transformed in small museum, containing Eastern objects and info on his life, and a few objects of basketry.